New Home

I have moved back home to Wisconsin but I want to reassure my Arizona clients that I am still their personal consultant even though I am 2,000 miles away. That's what is so great about digital scrapbooking and Heritage Makers...with today's technology I can reach out to you through the Internet. Contact me at info@memoriesin.com or call 920-420-0463 if you need any guidance on your next project.


Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Remember Trick or Treat for UNICEF?

It's the night before Halloween and the neighborhood is covered with decorations of pumpkins, scarecrows, ghosts and witches. As a child growing up in Wisconsin Halloween was usually on the cold side and sometimes rainy but on Halloween night the miserable weather didn't bother us at all.
Most of us wore costumes we could find in our homes. We put together hobo outfits from some of our dad's old clothes, wiped charcoal on our faces and carried a tree branch with an Oshkosh B'Gosh handkerchief hanging off the end. Or we took an old, white bed sheet from our mother's linen closet and tore holes in it for our eyes so we could see where we were walking.
I remember we would rush through supper because we wanted to start trick or treating the minute it got dark outside. No one ever trick or treated in the daytime. We carried pillow cases to put all of our treats in and of course we carried our little cardboard container to collect money for UNICEF. Do they still have UNICEF?
The kids who attended Catholic schools were the luckiest trick or treaters because we never had school on November 1st - it's holy day of obligation and there was never school on a holy day. This meant that we could stay out as late as we wanted to on Halloween..and we did.
The popular treats were Tootsie Roll Pops and home made popcorn balls. If you got real lucky you'd find a house that gave out the full size Milky Ways or Baby Ruths (there were no little candy bars back then). My least favorite treats were those awful taffy style candies wrapped in orange and black paper, I can't remember what flavor they were but I remember not liking them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment