New Home

I have moved back home to Wisconsin but I want to reassure my Arizona clients that I am still their personal consultant even though I am 2,000 miles away. That's what is so great about digital scrapbooking and Heritage Makers...with today's technology I can reach out to you through the Internet. Contact me at info@memoriesin.com or call 920-420-0463 if you need any guidance on your next project.


Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Recipes from the Hi-Holder District

I'm taking a short break form the reunion stories to share a couple of recipes. After writing yesterday's blog about German cuisine I had some requests for recipes of what mom use to make for us for that Sunday dinner. After giving it some thought I actually remembered some stories behind those weekly meals.

Mom always purchased her pork roast from Reichenberger's Grocery Store on the corner of 6th Ave. and Knapp St. in Oshkosh.. She had a standing order for a center cut pork loin with the bone in it from Ticker Reichenberger, the butcher. Every Saturday he put aside mom's pork roast and either she picked it up or sent one of us to pick it up. If it was getting late in the day and none of us had showed up to purchase that roast he would call my mom to make sure we were coming.

On Sunday morning mom would start the meal by browning the roast on all sides in her kitchen skillet. Then it went into the oven with onions, salt and pepper. It was just that simple. She always had it timed perfectly to be done by noon. However, my father would come poking around the kitchen about 11:30 or so because mom would pull the roast out and pick the bone off. That was always my father's favorite part and he would snack right before the meal on the meat off of the bone. The roast was so tender it basically fell off that bone. (You don't see too many center loins anymore with the bone in.)

German potato dumplings: 1) boil potatoes until tender then mash with a fork while they are still warm; and salt in  layers 2) add flour to the mashed potatoes (the amount of flour is usually equal to the amount of mashed potatoes); I begin mixing with a fork but the best way is to mix with your hands. It's very hard to explain the texture to anyone because grandma's recipes usually didn't have measurements and were taught with the old fashioned "hands-on" technique. When the mixture no longer feels gooey on your hands make into balls about the size of a baseball or a little smaller. Let the dumplings set for a while in the fridge, at least one hour. Boil water then add dumplings and boil for about 20 minutes or until they float to the top.

My father and mother met during WWII. Dad was in the Navy and played softball, mom was with a traveling woman's softball team and played against the Navy team. They fell in love, married and lived in California for a while. My father always talked about missing having dumplings for dinner. My mother wanted to surprise him so she made what she knew as dumplings...those light flour type dumplings that are in chicken soup...dad was surprised all right! Poor mom had no idea there even was such things as potato dumplings. But their love lasted over 50 years, maybe because she learned to make dad his potato dumplings.

Summer cucumbers: Slice cucumbers and an onion real thin, salt and mix with your hands. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. Right before serving pour white vinegar and milk into the mixture. The amount of vinegar depends on how tart you like them. (Notice once again I only know how to mix this with my hands.)

Wilted lettuce. 1) tear up a head of iceberg lettuce into bite size pieces into a large bowl, 2) salt in layers, 3) add enough water to cover the lettuce, 4) cover and refrigerate for at least one hour 5)  dice about 4-6 slices of bacon and fry and keep the drippings. 6) drain the lettuce, 7) sprinkle lettuce with sugar about a tablespoon, 8) add white vinegar about 2 or 3 caps full from the vinegar bottle (once again depends on how tart you like it) 9) and then add hot bacon and hot drippings to the lettuce. To wilt the lettuce even further I usually take hands full of lettuce and add it to the hot frying pan...and you guessed it...all the mixing is with my hands.Salt and pepper to taste.

I know these recipes are lacking a lot of measurements but I honestly was taught by feel and taste and that's how I taught my boys and others who like to cook for my sons.

2 comments:

  1. Mary Lou, I have never made potato dumplings before, I am going to try the recipe this weekend with baked smoked pork chops. I will let you know how they turn out. I know Fritz likes dumplings and I have not made any in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its best with russet potatoes, if you use the red or golden they are really too moist and require a lot more flour in the mixture. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete