New Home

I have moved back home to Wisconsin but I want to reassure my Arizona clients that I am still their personal consultant even though I am 2,000 miles away. That's what is so great about digital scrapbooking and Heritage Makers...with today's technology I can reach out to you through the Internet. Contact me at info@memoriesin.com or call 920-420-0463 if you need any guidance on your next project.


Sunday, July 1, 2012

MacGregor Reunion and Spanferkel...

I discovered something worse than goose poop on my deck...bird poop in my house! For the second time in a week a bird has fallen or flown down the pipe into my wood burning stove. Last time this happened, before I could figure out what the heck to do the bird in the stove, it somehow figured out how to fly out again. This time however the bird must have been  more stupid...he's been fluttering around in that stove all day. I tried to get him out safely but...he got away from me and started flying around the house, mainly in the living room with the high vaulted ceiling. Needless to say there is bird poop on things in this house that I never thought I'd have to clean poop off of. The story gets better. It's a very hot day here in Winneconne  and the high ceiling in the living room has a fan hanging from it...yup the fan is on high speed and that's where this bird decides to fly...straight into the blades. The bird almost sounded like he let out a grunt and went flying (not with his wings) past Bella and I and passed out on the floor. With one hand I had to hold on to Bella so she wouldn't get any closer to the bird and with the other hand I was able to pick the bird up and take him outside. Hopefully he will recover from this ordeal. I'm still laughing because I keep seeing this poor thing being flung across the room. Sorry,

This is not the first time I had a bird get knocked across a room by a ceiling fan. I used to raise cockatiels and the one rule that I had for my family was not to allow any bird loose in the house while our ceiling fans were turned on. No one in my family ever listened to my rules therefore my prize cinnamon colored bird was injured by a ceiling fan. We made a quick and expensive trip to the vet. Did you know they make splints for broken birds' wings? It's really a popsicle stick strapped around the wing...but since it's called a bird splint it cost $110.00!

My family is working hard on making this year's MacGregor family reunion a memorable event. We have family flying in from Florida, California, Arizona and Michigan.

So far the plans are: 1) A bonfire on Thursday evening at Barb and Mike's - all our guests should have arrived by then and the story telling can begin. 2) Dinner on Friday at Jack and Marys (brats and fresh picked corn on the cob)  and the stories can continue. 3) The all day reunion is on Saturday at the Schroeders' house on the lake with a spanferkel*, boat rides, fishing, volleyball,  fireworks and loads of picture taking.(there is also a street dance with a live band in Winneconne Saturday night). 4) And to finish off the reunion Mike and Jody are opening up their home for some swimming on Sunday... and more food...this time we are serving Mexican cuisine. Does it sound like we are going to be busy? You Betcha. Does it sound like we will all put on a few pounds from all the delicious food. You Betcha. I think I will be working out every day instead of every other day the week after the reunion..,or maybe I should start that schedule now and get a head start.

*Suckling pig is known in German cuisine as Spanferkel. It can be roasted in the oven or grilled, and is often served at festive occasions.





















2 comments:

  1. Mary Lou, maybe you should keep a fishing net in the house. You must have one, you live on the lake. Of course you should also set up motion cameras in the house, think of all the scrapbooking moments you lost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do have fishing nets and this has been suggested to me all day today. And I should have at least gotten my camera out to take some pics but I was so worried about Bella bothering that knocked out bird I could only think of holding her by her harness at that moment. Damn, does that mean I'm losing my photography way of thinking?

    ReplyDelete