New Home

I have moved back home to Wisconsin but I want to reassure my Arizona clients that I am still their personal consultant even though I am 2,000 miles away. That's what is so great about digital scrapbooking and Heritage Makers...with today's technology I can reach out to you through the Internet. Contact me at info@memoriesin.com or call 920-420-0463 if you need any guidance on your next project.


Wednesday, September 5, 2012

No more white shoes until next Easter...

As a kid Labor Day meant the end of sleeping in late every morning because school always started the next day; it meant the end of swimming at Pollack Pool for the season because it was no longer hot outside; and the end of wearing white shoes until next Easter and I have no idea why. It was always a sad time of the year for me.

When I moved to Arizona none of these things were associated with Labor Day. Since schools were in session already in August my boys and I were up early every morning long before Labor Day; where I lived in Arizona they didn't have a public pool but plenty of private swimming pools and they were open year round in the hot desert climate; and I don't think they even knew there was a "rule" that you weren't suppose to wear white shoes between Labor Day and Easter.

I've always been curious on that white shoe rule so I Googled it and this is what I found:

In many parts of the United States, a rule about not wearing white after Labor Day, which takes place  on the first Monday in September, is heavily ingrained. The roots of the idea that people should not wear white after Labor Day appear to be shrouded in mystery, and the rule has been greatly relaxed since the 1950s and 1960s, when it was more heavily enforced. People who choose to wear white after Labor Day are no longer heavily criticized for the choice, and are sometimes embraced as fashion forward trendsetters.
The most common confusion about the rule which forbids people to wear white after Labor Day is what garments, exactly, are involved. Originally, the restriction applied only to white dress shoes and pumps, which are unsuitable for winter weather anyway. At some point, the rule was extended to white clothing, but it was in fact always acceptable to wear “winter white” clothing in cream and other off-white colors. Winter brides have also always been allowed to wear whatever they please. http://www.wisegeek.com/why-are-you-not-supposed-to-wear-white-after-labor-day.htm

So now I'm just as clueless on this rule or non-rule as I was before I researched it. Growing up in Wisconsin it was just a "rule" that we all followed and never questioned why. Does this bring back memories for anyone else out there?

Now that Labor Day is gone we are coming up on Halloween and I have the perfect fun project for you to make.

        This is just one more sample of what you can design with one of our 8X20 wrapped canvases.
                                                                      www.memoriesin.com


1 comment:

  1. Mary Lou,
    I remember, no white shoes after Labor Day, in Wisconsin as well. Mom would put away her white shoes and white purse. I wonder if it started in the East/Midwest, because of the dirty slushy snow we ended up with on the roads and sidewalks. I'm sure you will remember that soon!

    ReplyDelete